Friday, June 03, 2005

A smattering of thoughts

The contract has come back to me, signed by Loose Id. My editor (*beams* at saying this) hopes to start edits this weekend.

Oddly enough, I'm looking forward to getting started on editing. Don't get me wrong, I know at first there will be the "They want to do what to my baby!??" reaction. There always is, everytime I get back critiques from a critique parther. It's a knee jerk, gut kind of thing.

But then I calm down and look at the edits in the grand scheme, and usually I see the wisdom in them. As long as they are well put, and don't feel like criticism, then I'm open to suggestion. I want my work to be the best it can be. And I know that my editor (*beams again*) wants the same thing.

It's going to be quite a journey toward publishing, and I'm enjoying the ride. I can't help but be excited about every step, and I'll probably be sharing my excitement here.

***

I just finished "Blood Ties" by Lori Armstrong (www.loriarmstrong.com). I recommend it highly. It is such a good book. The writing from the very first sentence is fresh and crisp in its descriptions. The heroine, while fallible, is kick butt. There is chemistry between her and a friend that made ME shiver when he touched her. I wrote her to tell her how very good I thought it was and how much I enjoyed it.

I realized something doing it. How often do I read something and let the author know that I liked it? I know some authors hear these things a lot. But I still need to from me, even if I think they've heard it a 100 times.

***

A group is trying to start a chapter of Erotic Romance writers affiliated with RWA. It's a great group, and I've learned tons.

If you are a member of RWA and write Erotic Romance, go join.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/erw_org/

Right now there is a storm brewing about graphical standards within RWA. I hope the interpretation I'm getting is wrong. I'll reserve judgment until I hear and learn more.

But if you are a member of RWA? Even if you can't make the meeting in Reno, find someone you trust to send in and vote your proxy. The only way an organization can hear anyone's voice is if you vote it.

5 Comments:

Blogger FD said...

A smattering of thoughts...

Good luck with the edits when you get the suggestions... from "your editor". :D

I'm very bad at contacting authors personally and letting them know that I enjoyed their work. Bad self. Must try to do better. It shouldn't be that hard if I can find their email addys online...

I'm waiting to hear more about the RWA thing though I'm not a member or never will be. LOL

10:56 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

No matter how popular or how 'big' the author, they appreciate the positive feedback. I'm not popular or a big author and the shortest note makes my day!

Recently, I finished Anne Stuart's Black Ice and emailed to tell her how much I thought the book rocked. I can tell by her response that she was truly appreciative that I wrote. It matters!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

Thank you Paula ((hugs)). The thought about authors came as I mailed Lori Armstrong (which I couldn't help, I was wowed by her book), and I said I really need to get better about letting an author know how much I enjoy a book. I hope that comment came across right about my needing to share with them be they "big" authors or not.

Mary, that's neat on Anne Stuart.

I hesitated to say it but I know for me, I love feedback. It makes me smile and beam.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Melissa Lopez said...

*Raising hand* I'm very bad about not contacting authors about how much I enjoy their stories. Which, is rather silly, on my part, I should know from my loop writing how nice it is for authors to hear from fans.

I'll start dropping e-mails when I enjoy a story. I know many authors devote time daily to reply to mail from readers.

Good luck on the edits!

:-) Mels

10:30 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I call them cookies, sometimes, they keep me from chucking it all in. I have tried to become more Cookie Galorish in my cookie doling out, as I will like something either on loop, or published, and not send *I am a bad bad gurl* But you always do, it always makes me smile. So, keep w/the cookies, you may just save a chapter!

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home