Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy Fourth!!

I hope everyone had a safe fireworky fourth!!

Every fourth of July when I was a kid, we used to go to a little place on the James River. They had a Fourth festival where we'd play games, listen to music, and see fireworks.

As I got older, and it got more crowded, we'd go to the other side of the river and watch from a sandbar where it was more secluded. One year, right before dusk, several dozen bats came flying out from some old bridgework left standing after some floods. I grew up on Stephen King, not a good thing.

Fireworks have gotten harder to find here.

A few years ago, we discovered An Old Fashioned Fourth of July. It's a great place to go with ice sculptures, a petting zoo, face painting, watermelon, music, balloon animals. It's at an actual working farm, where they work it like they did in the 1800's.

Today, I got to hear the reading of the Declaration of Independence by an orator. It was a moving experience. I had to learn it in elementary school. But today, the words meant so much to me than they did back then, as I stood there listening to him read them, watching a fife and drum band with a musketman. I thought about all the struggles of the forefathers to fight the Revolutionary War. And all the battles since then to keep our country established. I also thought about immigrants who come to this country and take the citizenship oath. To become American citizens.

Fireworks lost their importance to me in that moment. Don't get me wrong, I love to watch them. But somehow the day's meaning was reinforced.

So Happy Fourth! And I hope your day was a fun safe one!

May the muses have fireworks
Mechele

3 Comments:

Blogger Beth Ciotta said...

Wow, Mechele. Sounds like you had a spectacular fourth. How wonderful!!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great Fourth, Mechele!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

Thanks everyone on the wishes on the fourth! Glad you three had good ones too.

Thanks Cheyenne so much!!

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home