Friday, July 01, 2005

The horror, the horror

So last night the dh had the TV on and "Kill Bill 2" was on. I've watched parts of it. Some scenes I have to look away, it's a gory blood movie. The movie that came on after it was "Cold Mountain." I've never read the book, though I've heard a lot about it. I think I'm going to go find it and read it. At first, I wasn't paying that much attention to it, but started watching it. Oddly enough it's a scene in "Cold Mountain" that wouldn't let me sleep last night and has been on my mind all day today. I won't spoil the movie for anyone and tell the scene, but it's a harsh violent one.

Alongside romances, I grew up reading thrillers, mysteries, and a steady diet of Stephen King. LOL I still remember when my brother gave me "The Talisman" by Stephan King and Peter Straub and wanted to go through and mark out all the bad stuff with black marker. Stephen King had some pretty gory, creepy stuff at times. "It" had two scenes that haunted me. After reading his story "The Boogeyman" I had many nightmares and started keeping my closet door open, which to my husband's annoyance, I still do.

I read Laurell K. Hamilton's "Obsidian Butterfly" back in the Spring. And had to put it down twice. Was too squicked out to continue. On a fanfiction loop, there have been several posts that have made me stop reading or get teary because of violence. "Alien" has the creepiest scenes and still sets me on edge whenever it's on.

I've been trying to puzzle out why the scene in "Cold Mountain" bothered me so much. "Kill Bill 2" is much bloodier. Gorier. Maybe it's the comic bookish nature of it. All the violence doesn't seem as real as the scene in "Cold Mountain." The scene was very "real" and maybe while I can't imagine myself in the place of the characters in "Kill Bill 2," I can in "Cold Mountain."

Maybe that's something the scenes that bother me have in common. I can imagine myself in them.

So what scenes in movies or books have given you the willies or kept you up at night?

May the muses have flashlights
Mechele

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I too am a King fan, I LOVE him, It is my main reason for the hatred of clowns, and the closet must be closed all the way, not half way ty.

As for Kill Bill, the only thing I like about that movie is the title (points at herself the wife of a Bill) it was gory and just ridiculously stupidly voilent. I have watched about thirty minutes total of both films, long enough to go EWW!! and leave the room. Quentin aint my cuppa, he's got this huge head, I am sure he's an alien or somethin.

I like good scary movie, not so much ick, tho Stephen can do those too, and I will watch. I like to go AAACK! not EEWWW *bleck*

Oh, and um.. I WON THE CRAYON BOX PRIZE *shakes ass at all*

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm laughing as I read all this...sorta like whistling in a cemetary, ain't it?!

Clowns ARE creepy. I always thought so!!

Now, I'm a tough horror-movie broad. Watched them all as I was growing up. No problem, no sweat.
When did that change?

A-L-I-E-N!!!!!

I was young. I was tough. I was at home alone. Did my usual ready-to-watch-a-good-movie thing: lights out, ice-cold coke, big bowl of buttered popcorn. Slipped the tape in the vcr, clicked 'play'. No problem, no sweat.

Half an hour later, every light in the freaking house was ON. Doors locked, German Shepherd on the alert!
That movie scared the crap out of me!! No blood, no gore. All suspense, & primevil FEAR. Yessss!!!
Another one that bothered me--Angel Heart. I think it was the idea of being punished for evil you're not even aware that you do...
Great topic, Mechele!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I can't really say creepy movies keep me up because I'm a big wimp and close my eyes at the gory parts. *g*

But, I know I can't stand brutality on helpless individuals in books or movies.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Melissa Lopez said...

I loved Cold Mountain. I hate scary movies. And clowns *shudder* really scare me.

:-) Mels

10:15 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Angel Heart bothered me for a whole different set of reasons, least of all was the icky incest thing happening (ew) Creepy is better than all out blood and gore.
*********************
Jenn had the house all to herself, woohoo! As she walked past the big picture window, she saw a dark shape dart over to the bushes outside. Mm.. She walked over to check it out. She looked down, and there looking back at her were a pair of wide glowing eyes, beneath the eyes was a smile, not just any smile, but the smile of THE GIGGLER! AAAAAAAAAUGH!

Well, you get the picture (muah) There could be someone looking in your window right now, right behind you, where you are sitting..

You're gonna look ain't ya? BOO!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Children of the Corn!!!!!! Of course it was KING! LOl Another one is The Ring. It's not even bloody or gory but it's too REAL and it's the only movie I can think of as a grown adult that just totally wigged me out. TOTALLY. And this from someone who grew up on Freddie Kreuger and Jason *shaking head* Sad just sad.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home