Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I'm such a sap

On Monday, I was listening to XM radio. The DJ was talking about Rascal Flatts having a concert in Nasheville, I think it was over the weekend. Their record company presented them with a donation to a children's hospital for $250,000. Rascal Flatts then made the announcement that all proceeds from that concert would go to the hospital, about an additional $350,000. It wound up being the largest single donation in the hospital's history.

So I figured what was coming next. They played Rascal Flatts' single "Skin." It's a hidden track on their last album. l love the song, but it gets me everytime. It's about a teenager who gets diagnosed with probable cancer (they never say exactly what it is but it sounds like it). Usually, I make it to the final stanza before crying.

Not this day. I started in the first stanza and cried all the way to the end. *sigh* Had to drop the youngest kidlet off at preschool looking like I had intensive allergies.

I knew I liked Rascal Flatts, and now I have even more reason to.

http://www.rascalflatts.com/

Here's a link to the article on what they did (amazing what you find when you Google) with the name of the hospital: http://www.rascalflatts.com/news.aspx?ni=256&pi=1

Loose Id is doing a blog for Katrina Relief. There are a lot of great stories over there. They ask if you read them, to make a donation. *cough* my story will be over there soon. I'll let you know when.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/li_katrina_aid/

May the muses have tissues in the car (unlike me)
Mechele

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Lopez said...

Awww.... I've always been a BIG fan of Rascal Flatts. Megs turned me onto "Skin". *Weepy wail* It makes me cry every single time too.

Will be looking for your story!

(Hugs)
:-) Mels

5:04 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I'm a sap, too, Mechele. I say, "Saps unite!" There's nothing wrong with being compassionate and caring to the point where our open hearts weep for those in trouble -- even when we don't know them personally.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok all you saps...I too can't contain myself when I hear this song, "Skin". You see my six year old grandson was diagnosed with Leukemia this past march. This song hits home. Yes, my little guy has lost his hair already. I am so happy to read that Rascal Flatts has donated monies to the cancer hospital. I applaud them. There is so much about childhoold cancers that needs to be resolved and fast. Rascal Flatts I will be your biggest fan always.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home