Monday, October 10, 2005

R&R in New Jersey--part 1 The trip up

That would be rejuvenation and revitalization. I feel rather revived after hanging out with a bunch of people who hear voices like I do.

I just got back from the New Jersey Put Your Heart in a Book Conference.

I started out around 8ish Friday morning. Now it has been very dry here. To the point drought has been declared in some counties. So of course the morning I leave what do we have? Not just rain. I'm talking MONSOON. I didn't mind the rain, it was needed. But having to travel in it was the pits. 40 and sometimes 20 miles per hour down an interstate where the speed limit is 65 and people travel much faster usually.

Now I heard someone say this weekend they have the sense of direction of a clam. That's me. Only worse. I got lost in DC. And I do mean "call the hubby on the phone, no clue where I am, even he doesn't recognize any names I'm throwing out" lost. Was starting to think I'd stay in DC for the weekend when I finally got to a road to take me on my journey.

Went over the neatest bridge in Delaware. I'm going to try and put in a picture of it. It was a huge supension bridge called the Delaware Memorial Bridge.








I cheered when I crossed into the New Jersey. Got on the NJ NY turnpike. That was a fun part. No rain. And Def Leppard was being interviewed on the radio. Got to hear an acoustic version of one of my all time favorite songs, "Pour some Sugar on Me."

Then the road divided, and I wasn't paying attention. Why does NJ separate cars from trucks and such? Where does Mechele end up in the little Honda? On the side with the trucks. I was really worried at first, because no cars were over there but me. I'm thinking about Stephen King's truck story as these big semis surround me. But apparently cars can be over there, but no trucks can be on the cars' side. I was just glad I wasn't lost again or heading to a weigh station.

So it became time to get off the turnpike and go find the hotel. Somehow, I missed a turn and didn't stay where I was supposed to. So I got lost again. Really started to panic when I saw the sign that said, "Staten Island." I said, "Nooo! I don't want to go to New York." I pulled off at a service station and got directions to the area where the hotel was. I found myself driving around looking desperately for the Sheraton. Finally, I see this huge mall. I pull in saying, "Surely someone can direct me from here to the hotel." Call the hotel and get directions. *bangs head* I wasn't even a block away.

Tomorrow: The Conference & Seminars

May the muses have maps
Mechele

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:34 PM  
Blogger FeyRhi said...

**big sympathetic kisses**

I understand your frustration completely, I too am "directionally challenged". Had written directions to get to a location that should only take 15 minutes to get to,
yuppers you guessed it,
An hour later I finally made it back having got completely lost and never making it to my destination. By then I was just happy to find my starting point again.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

It was so good to see you, Mechele!

Hugs from the one with that clam-like sense of direction. ;-)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

*g* You were very close to my 'hood, girly! I've been driving over the Delaware Mem. Bridge since I was 16 - it's the road that takes you from MD to the BEACH!! And driving to NJ (lots of family there) I've made that mistake many times too, getting in the 'trucks' lane. Sometimes there's less traffic over there, which is nice...and sometimes you get sandwiched in by the semis, not so nice. Looking forward to hearing more about the RWA conference.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

LOL (((((Rhi)))))) we sound a lot alike.

*grins at Mary* notice I didn't out you? LOL but yes, I'm a clam too.

Oh neat Karen. I loved that bridge. It was so pretty. Being with all the trucks was a bit scary. It was a tiny little car.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home