Monday, January 23, 2006

I have entered a second childhood

Some would argue I never left...but I digress.

I have been reading books that pretty much are for kids lately.

Narnia started it all. I read The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe and then the Magician's Nephew. I'm reading The Horse and his Boy. CS Lewis really is a phenomenal author. I had read some of his theological writings before.

*SPOILER for Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing BELOW*

I had gotten Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume at a bookfair for the girls to read when they were old enough. I remembered liking it and a disturbing ending. Reading it again was interesting from the perspective of a parent. OMG the stuff Fudge does. And yes, when I was a kid, the end where Fudge eats the turtle disturbed me. The poor turtle dies. And it still does *sniffle* disturb me. Poor Dribble.

I've read the first two Harry Potter books and am getting the third soon from the library. My hat is already off to JK Rowling. The world she's created is so intriguing. I can see why kids and adults love these books. I hate stuff with spiders (since seeing the Hobbit cartoon at about 10) so did get completely creeped out in the second one.

Another kid's book I read will get its own post because of how influential I feel it was in my life. I'll blog about A Wrinkle in Time soon.

May the muses have childlike wonder
Mechele

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Children's books and Young Adult books have always had a place in my heart, especially since I was a very early reader. As a middle school teacher, I like to keep current on what the kids are reading, and introduce them to new books as well as some of my old favorites. The Artemis Fowl series is amazing - imagine a 'tweenage boy as a criminal mastermind in a world of fairies and magic. Great stuff. I've loved the Harry Potter series since I read the first one, and I'm a Narnia lover from way back.

It's so great that you are the type of mom who shares books with her children (I loved all the Judy Blume books!) You'd be surprised at how many children out there have never heard their parent(s) read aloud to them, or share a part from their favorite books.

6:51 PM  
Blogger FeyRhi said...

"A Wrinkle In Time"!!! That is one of my favourite books from when I was a kid. I remember my mum reading us 2 chapters a night from it. We would be tucked into bed and she would sit there and read. She also read us the Farley Mowatt books. "Lost in the Barrens" is one of the titles I remember off the top of my head.

I'm just waiting till my girls are old enough to start them on Harry Potter. I've read them all and LOVED them. I know she is working on the final book at the moment and I will be sad to see the series end.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

Karen, I'll have to check out Artemis Fowl. Any other suggestions bring them on.

We are having a lot of fun reading Narnia. I enjoy reading to them, the six year old loves it so I'm glad to do it.

I'm reading a lot of those books so that I know what's in them and can talk about them a little with her. I always enjoyed the books I could talk to someone about. I can't imagine not reading to them.

Isn't that neat Lauren? I've been looking so forward to sharing these books with the kidlets. The six year old wants to start HP. I'm not sure she's ready but we'll see after we get through Narnia.

I loved Judy Blume.

A wrinkle in Time's post is coming. I reread that book with all the wonder I read it with as a child. And realized through my adult eyes how much it affected me.

I'm getting book 3 of Harry Potter tomorrow!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home