Thursday, June 09, 2005

My characters are bossy

They are always telling me what to do and to write them NOW.

I've been thought of as odd the way I talk about my characters. At RT this year, Laurell K Hamilton talked about her characters in the same way I do. They live with me, in my head. Some of them come fully developed, personality in tow. Recently, I've had a character reveal herself in pieces. But they talk to me, breath as I write them, and tell me how and what to write.

I did have to laugh. I posted recently on using language that suits your characters. And how I had to get past my own discomfort of using certain words that the character would use. The character who's revealing herself in bits and pieces, informed me two days ago, she'd not going to curse. It's her decision, and she's pretty adamant about it. It does suit her. Just ironic after posting in here about using language of your characters that I now have one who will use no bad language.

I have one character who I'm very in tune with. I wrote a page in ten minutes with him recently and it's so easy. He spills from me onto the page.

I love getting my character's stories out. And really I wouldn't have my head any other way. Though it is frustrating to be in the grocery store line and have a character telling you his life story, and you can't write it yet. And they get rather fretted with you too.

May the muses be in full gear
Mechele

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, that's what a notebook stuck in your purse is for--when characters talk to you in odd places!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Melissa Lopez said...

You know. I just saw the prefect notebook at Wal-mart last week. I think I'll pick it up tomorrow. I ahve one inside my purse, but digging slows me down.

:-) Mels

7:29 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

Characters like to talk to me in the car or after a shower. Neither of these are times when I can easily write down what they say. Hmm, perhaps I could write it on the mirror in the steam.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Mine are bossy too, they say no no no! I wouldn't say that, now, take off our clothes and make us have the sex. *snort* Well, one in particular says that, however, I and the heroine ignore him most of the time. *grins*
I have to look out of my character's eyes as well as live in their heads, a strange combo when they are yapping away in my own head.
Let us resist the lure of Poppit and get busy!!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

I think I need to put a notebook in the car. LOL I covered the back of a credit card bill in notes when I got to where I was going and jotted down stuff in my head.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home