Sunday, August 21, 2005

Who walked here?

The family and I went on a mini vacation.

We went to Jamestown, which was the first successful English settlement in the United States. The oldest kidlet has been reading some books on Pochahontas (because I won't let her watch the movie...it's very inaccurate *shrugs*). The dh kept saying, "This is where Pochahontas and Captain John Smith walked around." Very wierd to think about.

I hadn't realized the 400 year anniversary is coming up in 2007. So they are busily constructing things for the celebration.

The island where historic Jamestown is has a five mile drive around path. We saw a fox! It was very pretty.

We also went to Busch Gardens, a theme park. The youngest was bummed, she was an inch too short to ride a lot of the bigger rides. But we had fun, riding, eating, walking around. Saw a Clydesdale horse getting a bath. LOL and they've added a donkey in honor of the commercials with the donkey who wants to be a Clydesdale. That made me chuckle.

My one gripe...Busch Gardens has NO Dr. Pepper!! I was in serious withdrawal by the time we left.

All in all, a nice getaway. Now it's back to the writing!

Later today, the newsletter will be released at my Yahoo group. It features an interview with Mary Stella, author of Key of the Sea and All Keyed Up, an excerpt from Handle Me with Care by Diane Charles Linford, and more. Anyone subscribed will be entered in my August contest where I'll draw a random email at midnight on August 31st for a box of beach themed bath treasures. Think Mango and Pineapple. See my web site for details.

May the muses have tropical breezes
Mechele

7 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I used to love Busch Gardens as a kid and your post brought back memories LOL. My junior high (as it was called in those days *g*) had a Teen Club and we took many trips to that theme park. No Dr. Pepper? My friend would have been seriously upset, as she is addicted to the stuff! Sounds like you had a great mini-vacation with the family *g* Thanks for all the thoughtful comments on my blog. You truly are the Cookie Lady!!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh, I LOVE the little donkey in the commercials!! So glad they added him to the Clydesdales! :-D

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Dr. Pepper? A total crime ...

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to Jamestown when I was a kid! I love that kind of stuff. I grew up in Maryland so we did a lot of sighteeing on the East Coast. Love, love, love Williamsburg, too. Now that we've moved to the East Coast from Texas, I'm looking forward to taking my kids to all the cool places I went to when I was growing up.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa Lopez said...

Glad you all had a nice time! Bummer about the no Dr. Pepper, though I think it has caffeine. *curls nose* ;-)

*Muah*
:-) Mels

5:53 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

Hubby and I did the Jamestown and Williamsburg tour during our honeymoon years ago. I really enjoed it. We had gotten a cottage to ourselves, complete with a fireplace. Heh...pictures of Mark trying to stat a fire are worth a few laughs.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I'm going to Busch Gardens in September, I think. I love that place... I'm a serious roller coaster junkie (something that really doesn't match my otherwise shy, introverted personality) and they have some of the best! Too bad none of my kids will join me... I'm raising a bunch of wimps:-).

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home