Monday, September 05, 2005

End of Summer

I know technically it's not. Still a few more weeks. But after Labor Day always seemed to be the end of summer when I was growing up. Pools closed. School started.

I know I was a bad blogger last week. Did a lot of stuff with the kidlets on their last week before school starts and as it was finally cool enough to spend some time outdoors without drinking gargantuan amounts of water and sweating just sitting down.

I'm working to edit Conduit, get it ready to submit (though like with blogging, I got behind on it). I hope to do that by next week. The third vampire novel is congealing in my head. I have the hero and heroine. I got smacked with another story this weekend. Would go right along with my paranormalish stuff. A shapeshifter. So playing with both of those ideas. I'm doing a book in a week challenge in a couple of weeks so hopefully will write my tushie off that week.

I'm so glad to see help moving in with Katrina ravaged New Orleans. And some good stories out of there and Mississippi and Alabama. I wanted to again urge everyone to give what they can. It's going to be a long slow process to recovery. And keep in mind, the TV cameras will get bored and move out of there to the next big story. But the people will still need help.

www.salvationarmy.com

I have been so impressed with the romance industry. They are stepping up to help. RT magazine is collecting supplies and donations for the Texas refugees. Lucynda Story (www.lucyndastorey.com) is donating a dollar from royalties on each of her books sold. Monica M. Martin. (http://www.monicammartin.com/) is donating 50% of sales from ebook royalties of Juliana's Portrait to the Australian Red Cross's hurricane relief fund. Fallen Angel Reviews is doing a book drive. I already pointed out the people helping Larissa Ione. I'm sure there are more I don't know about.

You can check back here, Loose Id will be doing a few things to help out with hurricane relief. As I get details I'll post them here but I'll be participating in whatever they do. I probably will be doing a short story, either written off the cuff or from a request.

Also, don't forget the animals. At least some of the people who didn't evacuate before Katrina did so because shelters won't take pets. The refugees aren't allowed to take pets with them. I know we've heard the story about the boy screaming for his dog, Snowball. These people have lost everything except literally the clothes on their back and they are losing again, something that could be a source of stability and comfort. Organizations are getting into these areas to rescue the animals left behind. And at least one group is taking in animals until their owners can take them back. A great thing to know your pet is safe until you are able to take them back. The Humane Society (http://www.hsus.org/) and Noah's Wish (www.noahswish.org) are two such organizations doing a lot to help the animals in these areas. PetSmart is also taking in donations to help animals.

May the muses have warm beds and dry clothes
Mechele

7 Comments:

Blogger Mary Stella said...

I,too, am glad that more and more relief is finally getting to the people who need it so desperately. It's only the beginning. These folks will need our help far into the future!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh yeah, everything is starting to trickle into the areas that need it, slow but sure. I hope that all these people get their lives on at least a nominally even keel very soon. This has to be so traumatic, not just the hurricane and losing their homes, but now the uncertainty, some of which is, where is my next meal coming from? Will I have a place to lay my head come nightfall?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Let me add my sentiments to the above wise comments LOL. Now that the storm is gone, the real trauma begins as people try to put their lives back together. It is truly uplifting to see how many of us have come together to help and support these people. Thanks for showing more of that in your post, Mechele!

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And thanks for the plug for the animals, hon.
As a critter lover, it breaks my heart to see what's happening to them. I would've been one of those who refused to leave mine behind, I'm sure.

And major thanks to everyone who is helping.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yep, the Monroe Civic Center has a place out back for the animals. A few others too, I listed em all on my blog. I am glad they are helping the pets. Our humane society and walmart took petfood out to the park

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're good people, girl.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

LOL. We are all good people. I have had more people ask after our evacuees. We, (the Xray dept) are slated to do a cookout for the ones at our state park. We are all taking turns. The area churches are taking days to provide for them, at least one meal a day that they are given. (hugs)

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home