Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Permanence

A few weeks ago in my youngest's preschool class, a little girl moved away, out of state. The youngest and I talked about it, where she was moving to, etc.

Today, she asked me, "So when is XXX coming back?"

I said, "She's not. She moved to YYY."

"She's not coming back? Ever? She's never coming back to school?" And I got a pouty lip.

I said, "No sweetheart."

Now she wants to write XXX or move to YYY. It never occurred to me to say this was permanent. I knew it was, but I guess the youngest wasn't aware that moving usually is. Sometimes I forget the things we've learned that kids still have to. Sad sometimes to learn those lessons.

May the muses have life lessons
Mechele

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Aw, that's a tough life lesson for a little girl. Good thing she has a mommy like you, Cookie Queen!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww thats sad! I have no idea when kids start to understand temperal or spacial restraints/ borders. Like when do we realize our teachers dont live at the school? and that going on vacation next week means 7 days and not this exact minute. Permanent must be a really difficult concept almost as difficult as change.

Thankfully in this day and age friends can be friends over distances. *g* the world is smallerthanks to the mail and the internet and the phone. A pen pal might just be an awesome thing to have.
(((hugs)))

10:18 PM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

It was sad. I felt bad for the kidlet because it never occurred to me a few weeks ago to say "she's not coming back."

*muah* LOL she'd disagree with you at times on that, Karen.

Yep Maureen it is interesting to see kids develop senses of time. The kidlet is still working on it. We might have to try and find the girl's address so the kidlet can write her.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home