Thursday, September 28, 2006

Banned Books Week

(Lauren Dane has been posting on this all week at her blog.)

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.htm

I'm a little late posting on this, but it's something I very strongly believe in. My mom always let me read what I wanted to, and I was amazed at my first experience with banning a book. My high school library took "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King off the shelf when I was a junior (I think). I was stunned, I'd read it several years before.

So go find a banned book or author and read it today!


The top 10 Most Challenged Authors in the last decade:

1. Alvin Schwartz (Scary Stories)

2. Judy Blume (Blubber, Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret, Deenie, Forever)

3. Robert Cormier (Whale Talk, The Sledding Hill)

4. J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter)

5. Michael Willhoite (Daddy’s Roomate)

6. Katherine Paterson (Bridge to Terabithia)

7. Stephen King (Cujo, It, The Stand, Salem’s Lot, The Dark Tower Series, The Green Mile)

8. Maya Angelou (I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, And Still I Rise)

9. R.L. Stine (Goosebumps)

10. John Steinbeck (The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men)


May the muses have books to read
Mechele

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredible, isn't it, in this day and age??
EVERYONE should have the right to read any damn thing they please. Let them make up their OWN minds what they like or don't.
(yes, I have a problem with so-called 'authority')

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home