Sunday, March 11, 2007

Back from EPICon

I went, I froze, I learned, and I laughed.

EPICon was in Virginia Beach this year so I had to attend. I think it was Mary Jo Putney who once said writer's conferences are where you have a bunch of introverts pretending to be extroverts. In my case, oh yes, that's so true! I'm rather shy in real life.

The highlights:

First, Sherrilyn Kenyon was the keynote speaker. Awesome, very inspiring speech. I thanked her for "giving me a kick in the pants, which I really needed" It had a lot of great points about never giving up. It's easy in this business to get discouraged. Sometimes you need to get a reality check from someone who has been there. Yes, there will pork in the trees by morning. And I will say her pep talk tomorrow as I begin to write each day.

I also got to see some other Sherri fans and friends, which was nice. Laurie and PS, who I knew from the boards at Dark-Hunter (had met Laurie before). Also, Kim, who I knew her name from being around Sherri's worlds (need to find her penname which was mentioned and I promptly lost *sigh*).

Jeff Strand was the EPPIE banquet host. My sides hurt from laughing so hard.

I had several people, I really really wanted to meet, and I think I caught them all and more.

I had found out Willa Okati was going and got excited as I've read a few of her books. *G* grabbed her outside an elevator and babbled. One day I will do the "I've read you and loved it" thing a little more sauvely.

I met Angie of Nice Mommy/Evil Editor blog fame (Hi Angie!). I read her blog a lot. When I found out she was going (by reading...her blog), I said, "Oh oh! I want to meet her." And as I was making coffee in the lobby (see above with I froze--it was cold), I looked across to see the name tag and went to introduce myself. Thankfully, she didn't think I was a stalker, LOL only an author who readers her blog so we had a nice chat.

Got to see Treva Harte again. Spent some time with Emily Veinglory, Lucynda Storey, and Laura Baumbach, all folks who have written for Loose Id and for the Collector series. It was neat putting faces with the online names. Also got to meet Margaret Riley, owner of Changeling Press. Put all of them, plus Willa and myself in the same room, and had some rather neat discussions.

Hung out a lot with Shara Lanel (from Loose Id, and we are in the same RWA chapter) and Sapphire Phelan (who I'd not met before but we're in the same RWA chapter, too). Had fun talking to them both.

I was going to list all the people I met, but then realized...it's a LONG list. Plus, I'd forget someone and have to do addendums. I had so much meeting people!! I was glancing at name tags a lot of the conference.

I also did manage to attend some classes and learn some things. I feel all inspired and ready to buckle down on writing (see my own editor saying "thank you's" LOL.).

Congrats to all the EPPIE winners!

May the muses have conferences at beaches
Mechele

5 Comments:

Blogger Anna J. Evans said...

Sounds like a great trip! I'm already looking forward to Nationals this year, and meeting all the people I didn't meet last year, lol.

I just got back from the beach in Cancun...ahhh...the beach. One of my favorite places on earth :).

anna j evans

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mechele! Glad you had a good time there.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

Anna, it really was! How neat on your trip to the beach.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

Desiree, hey there! And yep, it was really nice. *G*.

4:40 PM  
Blogger veinglory said...

OMFG it was cold. I coame homw from the beach to get warm, which just isn't right! It was fun though :)

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home