Friday, November 07, 2008

Interview with Jeff Rivera





1. Tell us about Forever My Lady, your first book.


Forever My Lady began as a screenplay actually. Mechele, I wanted it to become a movie more than anything but I found that Hollywood just wasn't getting it at all so I decided to out of frustration turn it into a novel. I didn't want more rejection so at first I set out to self-publish. The story is about someone who you might imagine to be a street thug but you get to know him as a human being who loves and feels passionately about a girl more than anything in the world. Even when he ends up in prison boot camp their bond doesn't fade. He promises her he'll turn his life around and marry her but when he's released he discovers she plans on marrying someone else.


2. Forever My Lady went from being independently published to being published by Warner Books/Grand Central. Which sounds like a fascinating subject to me. Can you tell us more about that move?


Yes, I enjoyed the whole self-publishing process. I wouldn't mind doing it again and in fact Mechele, I wouldn't mind bouncing back and forth from self-publishing to traditional publishing. I built an audience online that lead to Grand Central becoming interested and they gave me a shot at being published when others had slammed their doors in my face. I'm eternally grateful for that.

3. What's up next for you?


I'm writing a book for young adults now and I'm always writing about some element of love. I like being in love. It feels good, just have to find the right one for me. (Someone that will put up with me, most likely)

4. What is your favorite part about the writing process?


I love the preparation, outline and planning phase of it. The vision of where the story will be and I love hearing what readers think about the book once it's done.

5. Was landing an agent difficult?

For me Mechele, landing an agent has never been difficult but finding the right one, that's what's been the challenge. You need that balance of someone who's got the clout, believes in your work and can handle the basics of returning calls and emails in a timely manner.

6. Where can we get Forever My Lady?


You can get Forever My Lady wherever books are sold as well as http://www.jeffrivera.com/ and Amazon.com too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home