Friday, June 05, 2009

Friday Five

I thought I'd do something a little different this Friday.

There are lots of things I believe in, some strongly, some not strongly. Some I'll probably not speak up on because it doesn't burn inside of me. And then there are those causes that I will speak up for.

1. Spay and neuter pets. Every year, between six and eight million dogs and cats enter U.S. shelters; some three to four million of these animals are euthanized because there are not enough homes for them. (citation HSUS) Breeding has gone way beyond maintaing the species. And so many lose their lives simply because there aren't enough good homes. Yes, my critters are spayed and neutered.

2. Shelter or rescue pets. As much as I love some breeds of dogs, I can't justify to myself buying one. Not when the statistics like the above exists. Since I became an adult, all of my pets have been shelter or rescue animals (3 from the local SPCA and one from Henrico Humane). I have considered doing breed rescue at some time in the future with Siamese, Novia Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers (not likely to happen LOL but you never know), and greyhounds. Yes, support your local shelter or humane society. I love several here.

3. Book banning and censorship. I try and commemorate Banned Books Week every year here. I don't believe in book banning or censorship. If you don't like a book, simply don't read it. Don't want your child to read a book, don't let them. But don't ruin the book for everyone else.

4. Women's rights issues. My husband has said a few times, I was talking about the Taliban and their treatment of women long before the War in Afganistan. It's why I was so moved to contribute to the Nothing But Red anthology and one reason I was so elated to get accepted. In a few of my stories, the women go through a journey. They discover their inner strengths. I think it stems from my beliefs in this area.

5. Gifted education. This is a new one for me. And I'm not sure what I'll do about it. But I believe strongly in the process and that reforms are needed.

May the muses have causes
Mechele

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home