Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spay Day 2010

Today, the Humane Society and many animal organizations around the country will celebrate Spay Day 2010. This last Tuesday in February encourages people to spay/neuter their pets to prevent unwanted offspring.

The numbers of homeless animals are staggering. Approximately 6-8 million animals enter animal shelters every year in the United States. 3-4 million of those are euthanized. EVERY YEAR. Spay/neuter programs have cut this down from a high of 15 millions animals in the 70's.

It's still too high.

A lot of these animals are healthy. Sweet. Beautiful. But there aren't enough good homes for these animals.

Please spay/neuter your pet. Adopt from your local animal shelter. Volunteer your time. Donate.

I have two cats and a dog. Two came from my local SPCA where I also volunteer. My dog came from a local rescue organization. I fuss about them and their early waking ways, but they give our family lots and lots of joy. Very little beats a doggie lick and a purring cat in terms of relaxation.

Mechele Armstrong

PS my local SPCA says every day is SPAY day for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home