Saturday, October 06, 2012

Banned Books Week: What can I do?

I'm a huge supporter of Banned Books Week. I wish I didn't have to be. I wish books weren't challenged/banned. With each post/tweet/update I hope to raise awareness that this does go on. I've attended events in my local area (a seminar with readings from banned books and read in the banned books room at our local library for the past two years (sadly they aren't having it this year but say it will be back)). I read Banned Books. I try to read a book that's been challenged during Banned Books Week every year. I reread Salem's Lot, and read Olive's Ocean, Sandpiper, and The Perks of being a Wallflower in years past. I'm trying Fahrenheit 451 this year.  I bought the red "I read banned books" buttons to help support the cause.

But I think the biggest things I do to support Banned Books Week? I talk to my children about the issues and the week throughout the year. I encourage them to read books that have been challenged. When they were younger, I did hold them off from books until they were a little older but now that they are a tween and a teen, I let them read whatever they want. I try to know what they are reading and if we need to discuss something about the book, we talk about it.

Read freely. Read banned books. Challenge censorship wherever it rears its ugly head. Don't declare because you don't want or don't want your child reading a particular book that no one should be able to.
Talk about these issues. It's the only way we will ever move past them.

Mechele

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home