Thursday, October 04, 2012

Banned Books Week: Why it matters

Imagine a world where there is nothing to read. If you're like me, that's a NIGHTMARE. I can't imagine. It would be a world not worth living in quite frankly.

Well, if books are challenged and removed from shelves at will, we could wind up in a world where there's nothing left.

Let's face it, we have all topics we don't want to see in books. We all have books we don't really like and possibly do not think anyone should read. The problem comes in when we don't leave it at "My kid/I won't read that" and try to move toward, "No one's kid/No one should read that."

I know there are books I've let my children read that others may not let their children read at a certain age or ever. I have no problems with them saying their child can't read something, and I've held my children off from a book until they were a little older. I have no problem with someone not wanting to read a book due to content.

Just don't try to make that book not available to anyone else to read.

Mechele

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home