Saturday, September 28, 2013

Banned Books Week: It's personal and what you can do



I've shared this story a few times but I have personal experience with challenged books. You can read it here. I didn't understand it then and I still done. Time hasn't shed any light on it, not even now that I have children of my own.

I'm a huge supporter of Banned Books Week in case you hadn't noticed. I wish I didn't have to be. I wish books weren't challenged/banned. With each post/tweet/update I hope to raise awareness that this does go on. I've attended events in my local area (a seminar with readings from banned books and read in the banned books room at our local library for two years (sadly they aren't having it this year but say it will be back)). I read throughout the year. I try to read a book that's been challenged during Banned Books Week every year. I reread Salem's Lot, and read Olive's Ocean, Sandpiper, Fahrenheit 451, and The Perks of being a Wallflower in years past. I'm rereading the Color Purple this year and maybe the Beloved if I have time.  I bought the red "I read banned books" buttons to help support the cause.

But I think the biggest things I do to support Banned Books Week? I talk to my children about the issues throughout the year. I encourage them to read books that have been challenged. When they were younger, I did hold them off from books until they were a little older but now that they are a tween and a teen, I let them read whatever they want. I try to know what they are reading and if we need to discuss something about the book, we talk about it.

Read freely.

Read banned books.

Challenge censorship wherever it rears its ugly head.

Don't declare because you don't want or don't want your child reading a particular book that no one should be able to.

Talk about these issues. It's the only way we will ever move past them.

Mechele

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home